On Sunday 19 September 2021 23:07:54 Jon LaBadie wrote:

> is there a way to run a user supplied program just
> before amanda's taper opens each tape file?  I.e.,
> before it actually opens and creates a new file on
> the tape.
>
> Do I recall correctly that it opens a tmp file on
> the vtape and when complete renames it?  Or am I
> thinking of the chunks on the holding disk?
>
> jon

My GenesAmandaHelper does not do anything to the vtape, all it does is
run amanda as a child so it knows when amanda is done. at which point it
does its thing copyiing the now uptodate indices and configs to that
same vtape amanda just made. so they are valid for the vtape just
remade, as opposed to always being a day out of date.

No one else has publicly discussed how they've handled that so I have no
clue what others are doing, if anything to prevent a days indexes loss
if the drive or the amandatapes drive pukes and you have to recover to
bare metal. I also delete from the index database I keep, those files
that represent a vtape that has been re-used. So I have a duplicate of
amandas index stuff that takes up a few gigabytes on the main drive in
addition to a backup copy on the vtape. Belt and suspenders approach.
Recovering the latest indice and putting it where amanda keeps them,
enables access to the whole /amandatapes drive in one swell foop.

Copyright 2019 by Maurice E. Heskett
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis