On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 13:02:24 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Thu, 10 Mar 2022 12:46:43 -0500 Nathan Stratton Treadway
> <natha...@ontko.com> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 09:55:30 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> > > Here is the Java fragment:
> > >
> > > public class FlushOldVaults extends BackupVault {
> > >     private static final String AMTAPE = "/usr/sbin/amtape";
> > >     private static final String AMTAPEOPT1 = "-otpchanger=vault_changer";
> > >     private static final String AMTAPEOPT2 = "-ointeractivity=";
> >
> > You would probably be able to confirm this by looking in the amanda
> > log/debug files for the amtape process (i.e.
> > /var/log/amanda/server/<CONFIG>/amtape.*.debug on Ubuntu) , but I'm pretty
> > sure that you do actually need the empty argument in order to disable
> > the interactivity, something like
> >      private static final String AMTAPEOPT2 = "-ointeractivity=''";
>
> It does not like the empty argument,  amtape throws a error status and the
> Java subprocess returns a failure status.  It is "happy" with what I have,
> except it hangs on the broken tape.

Okay, sounds like the argument parsing is different in the Java .exec()
context than on a shell command line.  The important question is whether
or not the interactivity is actually disabled....  perhaps the amtape .debug
file gives some confirmation?

> The timeout never times out.  The amtape process goes into Sleep state and
> the
> Java program just hangs.

In that case hopefully strace -p/lsof -p on the amtape process (or any
other Amanda processes that amtape spawns) can give some hint as to what
it's waiting for....

                                                        Nathan

Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239