My conf  (the relevant parts)

tpchanger "robot"

define changer robot {
        tpchanger "chg-robot:/dev/changer"
        changerfile "/etc/amanda/XXXX/changer-state"
        property        "tape-device" "0=tape:/dev/nst0"
        property "eject-before-unload" "no"
        property "use-slots" "1-100"
        property "load-poll" "0s poll 3s until 120s"
}

amrecover_changer "/dev/changer"

and /dev/changer is a sym link to /dev/sg11

 So let me explain what is /dev/sg11 ... this is the device that
allows the manipulation and see the tapes and drives of the
robot, for example can be used with the command mtx

$ mtx -f /dev/sg11 status

Cheers,
Nuno

--