From my notes when i was doing recovery testing:
 For some reason if i use encryption i get a single spurious error at the end
of amcheckdump or amrecover if you recover the last file written:
  application stderr: /usr/bin/tar: Skipping to next header
  application stderr: /usr/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous
errors
 It still recovers as it should so nothing to worry about and manual recovery
from the same tape does not produce this warning but i have not yet figured out
why it happens.

I did do a complete 8TB restore when i first set up my archive backups, which
takes 7 tapes for me, changer worked, and that did give the above warning at
the end but all files matched the source when i checked.

I think i had "/bin/gzip: gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage
ignored" before i used -q to zstd which suppresses warnings and interactivity.

You could try a manual restore:
position at block 1 with mt fsb
mbuffer -i $TAPE -s 1024k -b 2048 -L | /etc/amanda/encrypt -d |
/etc/amanda/zstd-compression -d | tar -xf -
or mbuffer -i $TAPE -s 1024k -b 2048 -L | openssl enc -pbkdf2 -d -aes-256-ctr
-salt -pass fd:3 3< pwfile | zstd -dqcf | tar -xf -
That never gave the warnings as i get with amrecover but only feasible for full
restores.
You can try zstd -dfo /dev/null to see if zstd gives any warnings while reading.

In my "define changer" section i have device-property "READ_BUFFER_SIZE"
"1024k", which i had to add to read older backups when i was testing different block sizes.
That settings means it supports up to that blocksize for restores.

Anton "exuvo" Olsson
   ex...@exuvo.se