On Friday 29 September 2006 00:53, Gary V wrote:
> 1). Spend time and effort understanding how dspam  works and how
>   to install it. Experiment with different storage methods in order
>   to find the one that is fastest (because dspam moves like molasses
>   on large messages).

Hmm... dspam seems reasonably fast to me. At least compared to, say,
spamassassin with bayes. Of course, my server is low throughput, as
we are a small company, so I don't really check those speeds.

> 2). Manually train it with a corpus of ham and spam.
>
> 3). Add some stuff to local.cf that reads the dspam headers and
>   adjusts the spamassassin scores.

Been there, done that.

> 4). Discover that it only works well if you constantly manually feed it.

Well, yes, but in my experience any filter needs constant training. I
feed all spam and all my personal deleted messages to a training script
that checks dspam and bayes scores and trains the respective filters if
necessary (i.e. probability < 80% or in the wrong direction entirely),
quite apart from false positives/negatives.
If the volume were higher, it would be not too much trouble to automate
this process even more.
Just takes a moment each day to glance through the low-scoring spam and
check for FP.

> 5). Stop using dspam because it's not worth the hassle.

For me dspam works quite well. OTOH SA's bayes filter, which gets the
same training, doesn't work at all. Most messages get a score of 50%,
with quite many false positives.

Furthermore sa-learn takes ages to read one message, while dspam just
zips through.

My only (small) gripe against dspam is that it insists on delivering
one message to each receiver separately (via LMTP) instead of handing
it over to the next filter step "as is".
Which gets me back to the original question of integrating dspam into
amavisd: Don't - I at least prefer to know what dspam is doing, so I
run it as a separate LMTP server. Configure it with Server{Mode,
Port} as LMTP server for your MTA's filter (content_filter in postfix)
and Delivery{Host, Port, Proto} as LMTP client to amavis. That are the
keywords you'll have to look for in the respective docs.

MfG, Ulrich

--
Heinz Ulrich Stille / Tel.: +49-541-9400473 / Fax: +49-541-9400450
design_d gmbh / Wilhelmstr. 16 / 49076 Osnabrück / www.design-d.de