Carlos,

> how do I reject messages that have a high score of something like '5'?

> $sa_kill_level_deflt = 6.31;
> $final_spam_destiny = D_BOUNCE;

Yes, that should suffice. To block a message, $final_spam_destiny must
not be D_PASS, score must be above kill level, and recipient must
not be declared as spam lover or match the bypass_spam_checks.

Check your settings for @spam_lovers_maps and @bypass_spam_checks_maps.

> $sa_tag_level_deflt  = 2.0;
> $sa_tag2_level_deflt = 6.31;

But your example does not match your claims.

'tagged_above' in the X-Spam-Status header field corresponds
to $sa_tag_level_deflt, and 'required' corresponds to $sa_tag2_level_deflt.

So, either the X-Spam-Status was inserted by some other software
not amavisd, or you are looking at a wrong configurations file,
perhaps a later config file overrides what you found.