Mark Martinec wrote:
> Carlos,
>

>> how do I reject messages that have a high score of something like '5'?

>> $sa_kill_level_deflt = 6.31;
>> $final_spam_destiny = D_BOUNCE;
>>

> Yes, that should suffice. To block a message, $final_spam_destiny must
> not be D_PASS, score must be above kill level, and recipient must
> not be declared as spam lover or match the bypass_spam_checks.
>
> Check your settings for @spam_lovers_maps and @bypass_spam_checks_maps.
>

>> $sa_tag_level_deflt  = 2.0;
>> $sa_tag2_level_deflt = 6.31;

> But your example does not match your claims.
>
> 'tagged_above' in the X-Spam-Status header field corresponds
> to $sa_tag_level_deflt, and 'required' corresponds to $sa_tag2_level_deflt.
>
> So, either the X-Spam-Status was inserted by some other software
> not amavisd, or you are looking at a wrong configurations file,
> perhaps a later config file overrides what you found.
>
>   Mark

I take the opportunity of this thread to ask about one behaviour, that I
think is not uncommon. Has sense today to set
defaults destiny values for spam to D_BOUNCE? I mean this: today 99.9%
of SPAM comes from
a faked email address, so bouncing it to the sender means to a faked
sender which might be:

a) not the real sender, but an not existing email address
b) an existing email address, but not the real sender.

Now supposing the amavis is bundled with postfix as MTA|MDA in case a)
we have
that the server is trying to deliver the bounced email over and over to
a non-existing address (usually for 5 days). Soon
you'll have the mail queues full of undeliverable spam which remains
there trying for days and days.

In case b) you might have that the destination address has an antispam
too (maybe another amavis)
so the mail is rejected, and you get one back from MAILER-DAEMON. Apart
that sometimes you can fall in situation like a),
but you might even get the risk of having your IP banned or inserted
into some blacklist, because
of senting spam messages back. So IMHO the best defaults values are
either D_PASS (in that
case mail is just "marked" and the user will decide what to do) or
D_DISCARD (silently discard). A similar case
to a) and b) is when the amavisd server is feed with mails coming from
fetchmail.

I sometime found similar problems when an end user is setting a mail
forward through the "sieve" util
in a system bundled with amavisd-new+postfix+clamav+cyrus-imapd and the
forward redirects mail towards another system
protected with an antispam (maybe another amavisd-new or something
other). In that case if you set the destiny
bhaviour to D_PASS you have that YOUR system would accept the spam mail,
but the forwarded one maybe rejects
(because has set D_BOUNCE) and send back to you (both forwarded and
forwarder address do exist), and you easily fall in
situation of a) with your server trying to send back spam messages to
nowhere.

What do you think about this? Are there user who have found a better
configuration to deal with these kind of situations?

Thanks.
Bye
Giuseppe.