On 2016-12-01 18:19, Tom Johnson wrote:
MRob wrote

On Dec 1, 2016, at 5:59 PM, MRob <mro...@insiberia.net> wrote:

(1) Don't do any per-user settings in amavis/SA, make sure
$sa_tag_level_deflt is undef and $sa_spam_subject_tag is empty
string. This causes the spam status headers to be inserted in all
cases, then we apply filtering rules during delivery that let the
user tag the subject or other things. The annoying part about this
is if a user sets a different score than our $sa_tag2_level_deflt,
the headers don't agree with their spam detection level. We tell
users to ignore the discrepancy, since our filter system goes by
score and not the yes/no indicators. I suppose it might be possible
to rewrite the yes/no parts of the headers, but that seems dubious.

(2) Run SA out of the LDA instead of amavis. This gives complete
control to the users, though multiple recipient emails will get
scanned more than once and if a user changes scoring that lets
egregious spam through and sets a forwarding address to Gmail,
Hotmail or Yahoo, our MTA's reputation suffers (or indeed, if
forwarding is done with aliases in the MTA, *all* spam gets sent to
the destination which can be harmful).

I hadn't known that amavis per-user settings carried a performance
burden, so that's good to know. I'm not sure if you'd be interested
in option 2 and would be keen to know if you think it might suffer
the same performance problems (spamd looking up user settings in
SQL).

May I ask what your present per-user setup is?

Neither of these work for us, since we filter email for thousands of
domains and aren't doing local delivery of the email, and because we
need all the header information to be accurate for our users.

Right now we use the sa_userconf sql field, and a sa_userpref table
per the standard SpamAssassin methodology.  But the SA switch user can
easily add several hundred milliseconds to the processing of each
mail, so we need to get rid of it.

We need to adjust the SA score, and have amavisd-new then process the
email appropriately, making sure all the headers are correct, the
email is properly delivered or quarantined, etc....  Either that's
going to have be via the user preference switch, or we have to do it
in a Custom hook (checks).  And the slower processing time is forcing
us to look at the latter solution.

Amavis uses SA as a library, right? Maybe it would be beneficial to make amavis call spamd instead; I don't know if spamd would be more efficient at changing user preferences(?).