Hi Joseph --

One straightforward way to study the effect of survivorship bias is to set
up a watchlist for each period.  Enter the tickers of those issues that are
components of that index at the beginning of the period.  On the AA Settings
dialog box, select a watchlist and set the Range to the dates that watchlist
would have been current.  Click Backtest or Explore.

You can make a single run with the date range set to a longer period, but
you still need some way of identifying which issues to use for which date
range.  You could use a watchlist for each period, then have the afl check
the date being processed and verify that the ticker being processed is a
member of the watchlist that goes with that period.  Coding that in the afl
is possible but tedious to code and hard to maintain.

The first way will probably give some distortion at the date boundaries for
those trades that are open across the boundary when the watchlist changes.
Since you hold no position overnight, you will not be affected by this.  The
second way avoids the boundary problem, but at considerable added program
complexity.

The longer typical positions are held and the further back in time the tests
are run, the more survivorship bias becomes an issue.  The key to avoiding
survivorship bias is to work with a list of tickers that you would have
chosen if you were running the tests on the date the test date range begins.

Thanks,
Howard