Todd, you are correct.

The ARRL has been obsessed with spectrum conservation for decades.  It
might have made some sense at one time.  But the compulsion to make
every emission as close to knife blade narrow as possible is out of
touch with reality now.    Not to mention that when I finish using 6,
8 or even 10 KHz for a QSO, the space doesn't go away, it is there for
someone else to use, like a just vacated parking space.  The ARRL
makes it seem like every time a QSO takes place, the spectrum used is
consumed and gone forever like oil.

Now, we have fewer serious HF users.  ARRL likes to trumpet that there
are over 600,000 U.S. ham licenses out there but no mention is ever
made of how many are SK, shack-on-a-belt VHF hams, XYLs who got
tickets to make OM happy but never operate, emergency workers who
never operate, people who lost interest due to obstacles such as
station cost, technical problems, and lack of elmering, those who
operate in the extreme background with PSK31, QRP...I estimate the
number of hams in the U.S. who regularly transmit an impact signal on
HF to be around 50,000.

The ARRL would do well to address the reasons behind the obvious
decline in HF activity.  They did pretty well working on BPL but now
in addition to that, they must work on more serious challenges:
Antenna restrictions, and RFI from unintentional emitters that were
cheaply made and imported.  They must resist their pathological need
to control U.S. ham radio and redirect this compulsion to targets
where it will benefit the Amateur Radio Service.

73

Rob
K5UJ