At 10:47 AM 3/1/2010, Ken Ernandes wrote: >I'm not normally one to throw cold water on creative ideas, but I >will put myself in the position of the potential manufacturer. What >any manufacturer would need to even contemplate this project is good >answers to a few basic questions: 1. Can I come up with a design to >these specifications that I can sell in the realistic price range of >the typical amateur operator? 2. Is there a large enough market out >there that I can make a profit on this exercise? My guess is the >manufacturers wouldn't touch this one with 3.048-meter pole without >at least one functioning high altitude satellite on orbit. I >realize these are frustrating times, but I think you'll need to come >up with more than just a wish list. Perhaps a group could get >together and prototype portions to make a plausible case that this >can be built economically. Can it be done? Probably... But those >who really want it will probably need to invest a lot of sweat >equity to prove it. 73, Ken N2WWD
Ken echoes what I thought when I saw this thread. Note: the FT-847 has not been replaced by Yaesu/Vertex. I really think this should be reset to be a SDR radio. Then most of those "niceties" would be handled by software. 73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45 ====================================== BP40IQ 500 KHz - 10-GHz www.kl7uw.com 500-KHz/CW, 144-MHz EME, 1296-MHz EME DUBUS Magazine USA Rep [email protected] ====================================== _______________________________________________ Sent via [email protected]. Opinions expressed are those of the author. Not an AMSAT-NA member? Join now to support the amateur satellite program! Subscription settings: http://amsat.org/mailman/listinfo/amsat-bb
