At 08:19 AM 2/23/2011, n...@lavabit.com wrote:
>I have always laid the "big" ones (FT-817, CCRadio) out in a tub for them
>to look at, the first couple of times having not done so wound up with a
>swab and a some questions.  Having them exposed seems to have eliminated
>that so far.  The HTs and wall warts and such I left in my "radio" bag,
>nothing has been said about them although it gets the random swab or peek
>once in a great while.

Radios I've carried in carry on baggage.  I always take them out and
put them separately in their own tray.  Chargers, etc, I just pack in
checked luggage, since they're usually fairly rugged, and I put them
in amongst clothing.  Only had problems occasionally with an antenna
that can look sus on X-ray, so that tends to get left out as
well.  Let's see, 2 HTs, 2 laptops, and other electronic gadgets, no
problems, except when leaving Melbourne for the US, where one
overzealous security guard queried the radio.  A quick check with his
supervisor sorted out the confusion.

In the US (admittedly several years ago now), I only got stopped
once, and a quick manual inspection by one of the TSA guys was all
that was needed to verify all was OK.  Turned out something in my bag
was blocking the X rays and causing a confusing view of the contents.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com