Although some people say kilowatt is two words, it definitely is not.  In over
50 years of using "kilowatt" as a phonetic I have not once had a station think
it is KW.  Kilowatt makes it through QRM and QSB a LOT better than "kilo".
Some operators do use "Kansas" or "Korea" for the letter "K".

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com