On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:24:24 -0400, Harry Vennik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Op maandag 5 juni 2006 22:07, schreef Philippe Khalaf:
>> Hi,
>>    Well after seeing that long thread about languages, it kinda feels
>> like there is no solution but to keep the GUI in tcl/tk. We will never
>> agree on a new language, we already know tcl/tk, and we have a whole
>> lot of GUI code already written in TCL/TK.
> I think there is another solution. XML2GUI is probably going to work (I
> am
> working hard on that) so that would mean a Gtk-based engine written in C
> and
> the actual gui written in XML. If we want to keep the 'logic' part in
> tcl/tk,
> we'd just need a connector to pass on the events.
> Information about the XML2GUI plan will be in the wiki when there is
> really
> something to tell (i.e. when there is a beginning of a real design
> instead of
> just a few experiments).

very nice.. I hope you didn't waste your precious time and you looked at
the tcl/tk wiki for some already existing implementations of xml2gui. Do
you also have the thread of when talking about xml2gui, maybe you'll find
something there that is of interest.
anyways, thanx for not sleeping during this time where everyone seems to
be taking holidays...

>> The back-end (connection manager) could be written in anything as it
>> doesn't
>> really matter or doesn't even need to be an "amsn only" project. It can
>> be
>> started by someone else, and contributed to by us, or vice versa. In any
>> case there are several outsiders to aMSN interested in such a project so
>> it's not an issue.
> I agree to this.

I agree too, but I still think C is good :P j/k no more flaming.

> [...]
>> :
>> > This is where the aMSN people can be very helpful since you all have a
>> > rather good knowledge of the MSN protocol and can write this easily.
>> > This of course can be written in a different language than TCL. Any
>> > language that has DBUS bindings will do (C/GLib, C++, QT Objects,
>> > python, etc).
>> >
>> > - An aMSN2 GUI. Brand new GUI. The cool thing about aMSN is it's
>> > feature list. The aMSN devels have come up with cool features that are
>> > actually useful and not just stupid little gadgets. This can be
>> > transported into a brand new UI that uses Telepathy, and it can be
>> > written with another toolkit like GTK or QT. A new UI can be started
>> > immediately using the Jabber connection manager (called gabble) while
>> > the MSN connection manager is being worked on.
>> >
>> > In other words, aMSN2 would be a completely different project, but I
>> > believe aMSN is what it is not because of tcl/tk and not because of
>> it's
>> > pretty code :P but because of the features and feel that it has, and
>> > that is a direct reflection of the community that works on it. If the
>> > feel of aMSN can be maintained, it doesn't matter what back-end it
>> uses,
>> > or what toolkit it's written in. It can only look better anyways :)
>> >
>> > There are a lot of positive things about moving on to Telepathy :
>> > - Put some life back into the project.
>> > - New languages and new skills to learn. I'm talking C, C++, GLib,
>> GTK,
>> > QT, D-BUS or anything else we want.
>> > - New toolkit, new look.
>> > - Solid and well designed framework.
>> > - Getting in sync with the future. Telepathy is big now. We have a
>> > GUADEC main talk, we got 2 summer of code entries and we financially
>> > support the project. Any UIs or projects associated with it
>> > will also be big (aMSN is already big and can take it's popularity
>> with
>> > it).
>> > - Transparent support for other protocols (jabber, oscar, etc).
>> > - Full audio/video support with Farsight.
>> >
>> > I will let you come up with any drawbacks or bad things about it.
>> >
>> > If anyone is interested in taking this direction. Tell me right now! I
>> > can definitely help out with managing such a project and designing
>> > anything that needs to be designed. Obviously I am very close to
>> > Telepathy and can help with anything in that regards as well.
>> >
>> > You guys want a spark here is your chance. Take it or leave it the
>> > Telepathy train is taking passengers but isn't slowing down!
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Philippe

>> > All the advantages of Linux Managed Hosting--Without the Cost and
>> Risk!
>> > Fully trained technicians. The highest number of Red Hat
>> certifications
>> > in the hosting industry. Fanatical Support. Click to learn more

KaKaRoTo