I'll try to be brief because I'm at work, but if you need to talk about this
more or you need me to explain better something I
said, you can lways do it by PM.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 05:53:36PM +0100, Karel Demeyer wrote:
> After a power shortage of 24 hours, let me make something clear:
> I never said "aMSN is going to use my thing !", nor did I say we
> shouldn't let the user choose, I said I wouldn''t like another pop-up
> but I didn't demand this.  I'm not a dictator.  You say I'm not in for
> compromises ... well, I just code what I like ... as most ppl here
> didn't say "I'd never want the inline spaces", I started doing
> something, noone started on the cards, after there are cards, you can
> have the user choose.  Even if you come up with a third solution, let
> it be.  If everyone is sure my idea is bad and expresses it that way,
> I'll remove everything I committed and make a plugin for myself alone.
> You asked why I started doing it in the drawContact proc ... well,
> because this was my idea and nobody stated clearly this shouldn't be
> done inside that proc.  It seemed easier to me to do it there and it
> was just where I started.  All things drawed related to contacts are
> in that same proc ... ok, always reading that code I put in could
> generate too much cpu-wotrk for nothing you think.  Changing it is
> simple.

first, we're not here to make a war, there has been enough flame wars in the
past and we all know how it can be bad to start a
new one here. I didn't say you're a dictator, just saying that you leave no
place for compromise, you get an idea about
something 'usable' and you think it's the only best solution possible. About
you just code what you like, I agree and that's
perfectly normal, I can't tell you to code something you don't even want! so
there shouldn't be any regret in coding it your
way and I know that if I wanted it to be ccards I would have coded the ccards
myself too and that's probably what I'm going to
do once I get the time for it. Your idea is not bad, and I never said it is
bad, I always said it's a good idea and I'm sure
many people will like it, but :
1 - I don't really like it
2 - it is far better in usability terms, but worse in 'expectations' terms
3 - from a point of view of a WLM user, a ccard is far more usable than that,
because he is used to it.

I didn't say don't do it, I just said make it a choice and the popup is nothing
special it's a one time thing, so a WLM user
who wants to keep his habits can choose the ccard and a pure amsn/unix geek or
whatever will choose (jabber:p) the inline
thing.
You don't need to remove your code or put it as a plugin, it's in the core and
it will stay that way (until Phil starts a
revolution about the fact that it needs to be in a plugin)...

About the code position, I clearly said that it should be done inside its own
proc to allow for modularity and reuse of that
same code. Allowing us to draw the info either inline or in a ccard (didn't you
get the mail?)
The fact that you went and did it in drawContact instead of modularizing it
like I said was an offence to me, as if you did
only what you wanted and not wanting to allow  ccard to coexist with your idea.
I might haave been off about that (stressful
week)

> If the result of this poll is negatoive for me, if most ppl dislike
> it, and I want you to be honest, I'll just remove it, I won't be angry
> about  that.  It just seemed like I was the only one doing something
> about drawing spaces info.

As I said, there's no need to remove it, cause I approve it myself, the idea is
good, what I don't want is for it to be forced
upon our users, they have to make a choice and they should be able to get the
ccard if they want to.
The poll is already going in your favor, so I guess this is already out of the
question, right ?

> I don't know anymore what I was going to say more, if I remind, I'll
> say it later.  I just read this mail and it seems like you "insult"
> (this word is too heavy though) me for a dictator.  I want to make
> clear I don't want to be seen like one.

no, I never said that you were a dictator, you can't dictate what to do, you
have every right to code it the way you want since
you're the ne doing the commits, but the fact that you didn't leave any room
for negociations on how to do it best is what I
disliked. Just like the option, I said make it use a variable to know whether
it should draw like this or like that and you
went and use a variable for either enabling or disabling the sapced thing and
you put in comments 'a plugin can put it to 0 if
you want to add ccard', which was like "if you want something do it as a
plugin, but this inline thing will be the 'main'
feature" without having everyone's opinion on this.
Dictator is not the word, I would rather use 'arrogant'. Thinking your idea is
better than anyone's.

> "why do you want your idea in the core and my idea only as a plugin?"
> is because I want a very usable aMSN, and my idea seemed better
> usability-wise, and I thought you wanted ccards just to be able to
> "clone" WLM.  I didn't know you *hated* this inline idea.  Also, this
> was *just an idea*, I started doing it this way because noone was
> forbidding it and noother was doing anything else.  I did it because I
> thought "well, If I'm not gonna do it, noone else will do it" and I
> kind of hoped you'd like it afterwards.  seems not, well, no problem
> for me.  It will only demotivate me for a while, but I won't be angry
> or whatever.

I never said I hated your idea, I just said it didn't seem right. Usability,
yes, it's a good thing to do, but usability
DEPENDS on the person, always. the HIG is just a guideline, it's not a law, so
we may or may not follow the guideline it says,
it all depends. In amsn's case, this is a very special case, the contact list
has a function and it should only provide that
function, there is no HIG about how to create 'contact lists', we already
discussed that. Also, what makes amsn special in that
matter is te fact that it's a clone of another product. If that other product
doesn't follow the HIG, then it means we have the
choice of either choosing usability in the point of view of the HIG, or
usability in the point of view of what users accustomed
to WLM will find more usable for them.
You say you hoped I'd like it afterwards. I do, I always liked it, but I still
prefer ccards. I think that it makes the CL
really bloated, ever tried to open 10+ inline spaces ? how does the CL become ?
it becomes really really bloated, not nice to
look at, you can't just parse your CL with a look and see your contacts..
that's what I don't like. Also, with WLM, you could
only open one ccard at a time, so you click on your users and directly see
their card, the 'ccard' toplevel being replaced each
time (without flickering or anything) then when you finish, you just close it.
now, with your inline spaces, you need to open
AND close the spaces info for each user you look at.
Also, as you said, your eyes and mouse are moving down, so you click, it shows
down, you will usually move your mouse to the
center of the info, then when you want to close it, you need to go back up, it
can et distracting for some users, also, it is
in the upper left corner, not right corner and that's even more disturbing. +
the 500 ms delay for it to show up/disappear is
frustrating (this is caused by the redraw events being queued recently, I'll
talk about it laater).
While with a ccard, you click, the ccard appear, first, it's a change in your
screen so you notice it right away, it may be a
bit disturbing at first because of the reasons you pointed out before (you need
to refocus your eyes and everything), but then,
you get a good window with information needed, you click on a user in the cl,
the info is updated right away, how nice! once
you're done, you click to close it and you already know where to click, it's
stored in your memory.

concerning the 500ms delay I was talking about, it's because you added a queue
for redraw events, it's good, but I think it
should only apply to protocol events, for example a psm change, status change,
etc.. all that, I agree, should be queued, but
when a user clicks somewhere and that causes a redraw, it should be
instanttenuous because it's user interaction, he needs to
see the change right away, so I ws thinking about maybe adding a list of events
to queue and only queue those, or events to
execute right away and that would flush the queue..
I told Phil, don't know what he thinks, tell me what u think..

> About why I didn't do the "draw stuff on canvas" thing in another proc
> yet .. well , it's just the way I do things.  As long as noone seems
> to just create the contactcards so I have another use-case for that
> proc, I do it the simple way.  It's not that much work to move it over
> to another proc.  I also started on this inline drawing just as a
> test, to see if my idea was possible.  It's not that much work to
> remove it, and if you want to, I'll just remove it.

not modularizing code is not really 'the simple way'. Anyways, I think Phil
refactored everything now, we'll see how it works
out.

> I'm also going to respond to that other mail: I already used the
> ::hotmail::got_URL proc, it was changed over time.

ok.. but is it still not working ? I tried and it doesn't work, so it's weird..
do you think the .html file is not good ? or
that maybe the gotURL is wrong ? maybe that's why some people report they can't
access their profiles... maybe the auth is done
in a wrong way...

KKRT