Stephen Turner wrote:

> I've never quite understood why people think the Host Report is the natural
> place for this. I suppose people regard .uk and ac.uk as domains, but
> statslab.cam.ac.uk as almost a host (even though there is no host of that
> name -- they're all x.statslab.cam.ac.uk). But then what is cam.ac.uk?

Hmm... You know maybe it's my American heritage and InterNIC familiarity, but I
always defined things like microsoft.com, harvard.edu, and cam.ac.uk as domains.
As in "what's your domain", or "register a domain".

Although, now that I read the InterNIC page, this is what they call a second
level domain (or maybe third, etc.) so perhaps it just the net lingo that
misnames these domains. However, I think it doeslead to some confusion (as in
"why doesn't my domain report list things like micorosoft.com?")

--
Jeremy Wadsack
OutQuest Magazine