Greetings - First, my understanding of ROBOTINCLUDE and ROBOTEXCLUDE is
that these are report-level commands, that is, they affect only the
Operating System Report. Right?

A previous exchange on this list...

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Stephen Turner wrote:
 > On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Aaron Shoblaske wrote:
 >> In the 4.90beta, is there any way in one line to exclude from the entire
 >> report all robots that you've defined using robotinclude (eg. ROBOT none)
 >> or do you still have to type in a bunch of seperate BROWEXCLUDEs for each
 >> robot (eg. BROWEXCLUDE inktomi*, etc.)? And if there isn't would it be
 >> hard to implement it in the beta?

 > There isn't. It's a good idea though. I'll do it. Probably.

The above is a good step but something about it seems odd - one says which
browsers to include in the Operating System Report as being robots, and
then one says exclude all such items from the entire report.

How about this instead/in addition:

For a selected set of commands, invent a syntax extension that says read
the arguments for this command from a file. I could then, for example, put
a list of robotish browsers in a file and use any of the following:

ROBOTINCLUDE -FILE filename
ROBOTEXCLUDE -FILE filename
BROWEXCLUDE -FILE filename
BROWINCLUDE -FILE filename

This differs from CONFIGFILE because only the arguments would be in the
file, not the commands. This could be generalized to many other commands
but it is only really useful where you want to use the same list of
arguments for different commands. I think only the item include/exclude
commands would get used this way.

Does this make sense?

--
Dennis Nichols