Hey all,

I have done a little searching about the capabilities of the audio in
Android. I have a love for iPhone music apps like BeatMaker, iDrum, and
more. I would love to work on something like this, but I fear from what I've
read even in Android 2.0 there is nowhere near the capabilities on Android
devices as there is on iPhone for audio apps this sophisticated. My first
thought is, to mix all the audio myself in software, then use the single
audio output to play my own mixed audio tracks. That would at least avoid
the issue of trying to play multiple sounds at once using the Android audio
engine. Has anyone done something like this.. if so how has it worked out? I
would hope that the 600Mhz cpu would have plenty of power to do this while
keeping somewhat accurate timing resolution to play music back in real-time.
However, I have yet to see any music app on my Moto Droid that doesn't have
significant lag from the time you press a button to the time the sound comes
out. Are we just hosed right now on Android for any potential music app?