Sorry for not being clear from the start Mark - my bad.

When the app reaches the createNewFile() method it quits (I thought
it was stalling on that method but I was wrong). I think that method
is the problem in my case.

I did use adb push to copy files to the emulator's "filesystem" so
that
answers that question - I could play around with that from my app
and see how the file i/o works since I am new to it on the Android.

How would I go about creating/finding an SD card image for the
emulator?