No idea off the top of my head, other than that something you think is
true probably isn't. Not exactly a helpful observation...

But why not try <HTML/> instead of <HTML></HTML>, and verify that
you're getting that. They're equivalent, but going to even simpler XML
may lead you to discover the problem by getting you to go through
things again.

Make sure you didn't accidentally leave in the code to read from the
stream and print it out!

Also, make sure your input file is in utf-8. (Which in this case, is
the same as ASCII/IS0-646). You may have used some editing tool that
put it in UTF-16. Or perhaps there's a byte-order mark inserted, and
perhaps the parser doesn't handle that properly.