Success for this stage!!! My own fault!!! After checking the device
manager for the 1000th time, I noticed
that the PID of 618 was actually "618E". I changed that and changed
the MI_0x to match one of the "LG Mobile USB Modem"
entries and then told it to reload the driver & pointed it to the
Android and after a bit, I got

"Android Phone" & "Android Composite USB Interface" in the device
manager.

"adb devices" still only shows the emulator though, and not the
phone.  I feel that I have more of the hill to climb
before I get the thrill of "Hello World" staring at me on the phone!

But, for this part, thank you so much for your time and help. As I
feared it was something simple -- I'm sorry
I didn't find it until now... (a feeble excuse in my defense is that
the E and & somehow obscured each other or, maybe I
blundered into something on the phone that actually changed the number
(although that seems unlikely!).

So, now to see why adb still doesn't see the phone...

Alan