Well, after 2 days off & on, I am thrilling to Hello World on my LG
Ally.

After realizing that my problem with ADB was that I'd typed in the PID
wrong (see earlier post),
I still couldn't make adb see the device (adb devices).

But, the thread "connected Motorola droid not recognized by adb" did
help some, especially the post by authorwjf.
I still don't know why I got 5 "LG Mobile USB modem" entries in the
device manager, but one by one I converted them to
"Android Composite ADB Interface" using the sequence of steps given by
authorwjf.  The key for me was to "LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE
DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER", instead of "BROWSE MY COMPUTER...". I was
given a choice of Android Composite ADB Interface, Android ADB
Interface, and Android Bootloader Interface. I converted several modem
entries to the Composite, then one to the plain ADB, and finally one
to the Bootloader Interface. That did it, whatever the Bootloader
interface does, suddenly adb saw my phone.  Eclipse presented me with
a choice of devices (emulator and phone) when I hit "Run", and when I
chose the phone, it worked!

Sorry for the verbiage, but I have tried so many things that I have to
admit that I'm not sure what order of things caused it to work.  For
example, maybe loading the USB 3 stuff successfully allowed windows to
know about the Android drivers (eventually) & that allowed me to
eventually choose between the different Android device drivers.  But,
in any case, many thanks to Kostya, authorwjf, and others who've
posted on this subject.

Alan