> I was just thinking back to the evolution of the PC, which also
> started out supporting just one of everything (e.g., the C: drive) and
> ended up with multiple disks, multiple partitions on a disk, multiple
> pointing devices, multiple screens, etc., etc.

Actually, the PC started out supporting multiple drives -- A, B, C, D,
etc.  I believe this mimicked CP/M.  It was a classical M$ism to place
the hard drive at "C" (so that the location of the two presumed
floppies wouldn't change) and assume there was only one, but one would
expect a Linux-derived box to be more general.