I released one app, paid only.  It was successful for me, especially
after I got a couple of blog posts reviewing the app.  Granted, I had
a fairly successful web presence before I released the app.  If you
can get a blogger or two to write about your app, that will help
immensely. For starters, find every android blog and podcast, and tip
them off to your app.  They may not pick up the story right away. Also
work the discussion boards.  Don't be spammy, but search frequently,
and if your app can solve somebody's problem, tell them so.