On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:38 PM, DanH <danhi...@ieee.org> wrote:
> Background in algorithms???  It's a Programming 101 problem -- anyone
> with a modicum of programming skill should be able to do it.

You make a few assumptions, in terms of background and experiences,
that may or may not be accurate.

> It's no
> harder than writing the program to read lines from a file and write
> them to a database -- the only real difficulty is navigating through
> the maze of Java classes you need to do file access.

The lines of code count is probably somewhat longer. More importantly,
though, the database solution is well-trod ground, with quite a few
samples. "Dope vector" has remarkably few hits on search engines, let
alone any code that can be readily applied in this case. Now,
admittedly, not every occurrence of this pattern may use that term --
when I used a variant on this approach on the Apple IIe in the late
1980's, I had not heard of the term.

Perhaps you would like to contribute, by either augmenting the dope
vector Wikipedia page, or by creating a couple of Java classes for
creating and reading dope vector files, to help make it easier for
people to take advantage of your expertise in this area.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training...At Your Office: http://commonsware.com/training