Moreover, you also have to ask yourself how much effort is needed for
a given item.

For example, the OP was concerned about a Twitter API key. Personally,
I wouldn't worry about that, since there are no real barriers for
anyone else to get their own Twitter API key.

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> Ultimately there is no good answer here.  No matter what you do, you can't
> totally protect anything in your application.  Your entire application is
> out in the world, where anyone can get at its contents, and with sufficient
> effort learn every deepest darkest secret it contains.
> The question you have to ask yourself is, how difficult does it need to be
> for someone to get at whatever you are concerned about?  You can't make it
> impossible.  You can make it easy or various levels of harder.  Moving to
> native code gives you more tools for making it harder, but is never going to
> be a panacea.  How much time are you willing to spend on this vs. how much
> harder you will make it?  You are quickly going to find yourself reaching a
> point of diminishing returns where a large amount of effort moves the
> "harder to extract" needle only a little bit.
>
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Samuh <samuh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This post [http://digital-identity.dk/2010/12/protecting-ip-in-android-
>> applications/] suggests that apart from obfuscation, we can try
>> implementing a portion of (sensitive) code natively. And then to
>> ensure that the native code is used/called by our application only, we
>> can match the digital keys used to sign the application.
>>
>> How effective will this prove to be?
>>
>> --

> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hack...@android.com

> provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such
> answer them.

Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Warescription: Three Android Books, Plus Updates, One Low Price!