Just to clarify -- I'm NOT saying the current state doesn't have huge
usability problems! (And so did the previous state).

I'm only disagreeing with the sentiment that "real programmers only
want to use the XML, and ignore the GUI". Even now, when it works
right (and I can figure out how to use it), it's a time savings.

When it's not, I end up reformatting and fixing the XML.

My point is, it's quite worth the Android teams' time improving this.
It's NOT just newbies who don't understand the XML who will benefit.

In fact, I think it would be a good goal to make the UI expose the
functionality so clearly, usably, completely, and unambiguously that
knowing the XML offers no benefit to the "real" developer (unless
you're writing automated transformations on it).