Reuben, the emulator does NOT use the new OpenGL backend for Canvas. It
wouldn't work on the emulator anyway because it requires OpenGL ES 2.0 and
the emulator does not support OpenGL ES 2.0. The emulator is slow simply
because there are more pixels to draw and apps are more complex than
before.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Reuben Scratton
<reuben.scrat...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Suspect we are talking at cross-purposes. If you have switched Canvas to
> GL-based rendering then surely it is self-evident that there is going to be
> far more computation overall (i.e. for both hardware *and* software) in
> using a complex floating-point based pipeline. For the emulator, that added
> complexity falls entirely on the software, hence the general slowness of GL
> on Honeycomb and earlier.

Romain Guy
Android framework engineer
romain...@android.com

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them