When I use MAT to look at TmpTestActivity, I ....

1.) Open the OQL tab in MAT and type the following query "select *
from com.<package name>.TmpTestActivity" and run the query
2.) I right click on one of the TmpTestActivity result rows and choose
"List Objecst -> with incoming references" ... the results of which is
the same TmpTestActivity instance.
3.) I then right click on the result and choose "Path to GC Roots ->
Exclude all soft/weak/phantom references", which results in:

    i.) a ListView referencing the context of TmpTestActivity
    ii.) a FrameLayout referencing the context of TmpTestActivity
    iii.) an android.app.ContextImpl referencing the outer context of
TmpTestActivity

Note, if I run this test with an activity that doesn't contain the
ListView I do not see extra activities sitting around in memory.