On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM, ivan <istas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just ran the ApiDemos app (from SDK 7) in a stand alone emulator.
>
> I went to List1, then back, then to List2, then back, then back to
> List1, etc... then:
>
> 1.) I used "adb shell ps" to view the process id.
> 2.) I used "adb kill -10 <pid>" to kill the process and dump an hprof
> 3.) I pulled the hprof from the virtual device's sdcard to my machine
> 4.) I converted the hprof with hprof-conv
> 5.) I opened the hprof with MAT in eclipse
> 6.) I opened OQL tab and ran "select * from
> com.example.android.apis.view.List1"
> 7.) I see multiple instances of com.example.android.apis.view.List1
> lingering in memory

You forgot:

8.) Made note of what is holding onto those instances

If they are not referenced by anything, they are simply garbage that
has not been collected. Conversely, if they are referenced by
something, it is important to know what that something is.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to *Advanced* Android Development_ Version
1.9.2 Available!