On Dec 9, 12:47 pm, "Dianne Hackborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There is no standard settings dialog, we already have to e-mail apps that
> are very different: gmail and email.  I don't think it makes sense to try to
> come up with a general-purpose UI for this as part of the platform, though
> of course making one that others can re-use embedded in their apps would be
> great.

I don't think a general-purpose UI for sending email sounds useful,
but a general-purpose API for email definitely sounds useful.
Obviously, it would have to be a privilege you grant an application
("access your email" and "send email on your behalf" seem like
good candidates), but given that the phone is so connected to my
gmail account, I was really surprised to not be allowed to take
advantage of it from my own apps.  For example, one of the first
apps I wanted to write was something that would hook into an
"incoming mail" notification and play custom notification sounds
based on simple message-matching rules.  I don't think it's doable
unless I want to duplicate IMAP client functionality and force the
user to provide/manage duplicate credentials.  Pretty lame from
a platform standpoint.