I am testing our app on a Galaxy Tab 7 and a Kindle Fire. They both
have the same number of pixels and screen size, but the various views
on the Fire are two thirds the size of the same ones on the Tab.
I put in a couple of lines of code to capture the screen metrics and
find that the Tab is returning 1.5 for density and scaled density and
the Fire is returning 1.0. Also, for densityDpi, the Tab is returning
240 and the Fire is returning 160. This explains the different sized
views, but I don't understand why.
By the way, a simulator set up with 1024x600 pixes and 169 ppi looks
like the Tab.

I do see that the Fire reports back about 165 dpi, x and y, vs about
169 from the Tab. Are they just on either side of the border of Large
and Medium?
If so, is there a way to load the layout-large xml even though the
Fire is on the Medium side?