My use case is this: a user looks up some information about a book. The
book's cover is fetched from The Internet. If the user wants to save the
book cover, the image is stored in the external storage directory.

The storage code is simply this:

new File(Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory(), file);

where "file" is just the name of the JPEG file of the image, prepended with
my app. So, in theory, this should just be
/mnt/sdcard/myapp/someBookCover.jpg for the Galaxy Nexus. (Obviously,
mnt/sdcard varies, and might just be /sdcard-ext, etc).

Now, when I perform a file.exists() operation to make sure that that file
exists, I always get a "false" on ICS devices, and the cover does not load.
I am not sure why this is happening.
I had a user send me some logging information, and everything seems to
check out correctly:

I/IOUtilities(15437): ExternalStorageDirectory: /mnt/sdcard
I/IOUtilities(15437): ExternalStorageEmulation: true
I/IOUtilities(15437): ExternalStorageRemovable: false
I/IOUtilities(15437): CacheDir: /data/data/com.miadzin.shelves/cache

What am I doing wrong here?