On Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:27:35 PM UTC-7, Zsolt Vasvari wrote:

> > According to some reports, ICS, and not just the manufacturers, is
>> locking out all non privileged  apps from writing to removable storage.
>>

> That's absolutely not true -- my app, on a Galaxy Nexus, can write to the
> folder pointed to by:
>
> Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory().getAbsolutePath()
>
> I have the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE  set.  I use it for backup and had
> nobody complained yet.

The Galaxy Nexus does not have *removable storage*, as far as I know, so
that is not a counter example.

And I have NEVER had trouble writing to
Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory()

But in many devices, the getExternalStorageDirectory() returns a directory
that is internal storage.

The same devices sometimes have another, external storage slot with the
following characteristics:

   - There is NO call equivalent to getExternalStorageDirectory() to find
   out what the path is
   - The users often don't know what the path to it is.
   - I don't know what the path to it is.
   - The manufacturers don't publish what those paths are.
   - If, by some miracle, the user finds out what that path is, my app
   checks that folders and finds that it is read only, at least for my app.
   - I do not know why it is read only, but I believe the manufacturer, or
   perhaps the ICS platform, has made the decision that only certain apps can
   use it.

I would really like to know what it is going on, besides manufacturers
making developers look like idiots. I only have a budget for a small number
of devices, so it is really hard for me to see the general trend.

Nathan