On Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:10:50 PM UTC-7, Nikolay Elenkov wrote:

> I guess that came out wrong, sorry. My point was, that if you are
> providing a backup/export, etc. feature, saving data to 'the cloud'
> is generally easier than trying to deal with 'external storage'
> in its many shapes and sizes.  Most users think external=SD card
>  and then you get the troubles you are having. That said,

This isn't a backup/export feature. And yes, I understand. But I have a
choice of two support headaches. On the one hand, people asking "why won't
your app write to the sd card". On the other, "I can't find the right path."

Incidentally, the secret WRITE_MEDIA permission appears to be no help.
According to some reports, ICS, and not just the manufacturers, is locking
out all non privileged  apps from writing to removable storage. If that is
the case, I shouldn't be offering something in my app, but I have some
really strong words for whoever made that REALLY IDIOTIC decision. (After
all, what could a person possibly want on an SD card besides music and
photos (Answer: a lot!)?)

> > My customers easily create 8Gig or more of files with my app, so they
> > care about what volume the app puts files on.
> >

> obviously 'the cloud' is not a good option if your data is in the GB
> range.  Not sure what is.

The "cloud" is where the data comes from, and if that were enough, I
wouldn't be doing any of this. Access to the "cloud" is not universal even
in North America.

Nathan