Hi, sorry this didn't get documented.

The change is that third party applications can no longer get the read logs
permission, however every app can read the logs containing only the lines
*they* have written, without needing any permission.

Keep in mind that access to the logs has never been part of the SDK, and is
still not part of the SDK.  If you are relying on it then, even after this
change, you run the risk of breaking in the future.  (And that is partly
why this got lost for documentation, it is not part of the SDK, so there
isn't really a place to document it, in fact documenting it would kind-of
make it a part of the SDK which we don't want. :p)

Also we really really hope that developers don't take this as license to
further abuse the system logs and spew increasing amounts of stuff into it
from their app.  Log noise has been a continual problem on Android (not
just for third party apps, we always struggle to ship the open source
platform without a lot of noise), and if things continue to get worse we
will probably make further changes to it to better control it.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Ievgenii Nazaruk <
ievgenii.naza...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been working on an application for developers that uses
> DropBoxManager. The DropBoxManager requires READ_LOGS permission to be
> granted in order to query information from it.
>
> Today I've tested my application on newest (api 16) emulator before
> releasing it to Google Play. It turned out that Android now refuses to
> grant this permission to 3rd party applications. This is weird because I've
> looked through all Jelly Bean's documented changes and couldn't find
> anything that mentions READ_LOGS permission.
>
> So basically my questions:
>
>    - Did anyone see this change documented?
>    - Can someone confirm this behavior on Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean on
>    it (the one released to attendees of Google I/O)?
>
> And questions to someone from Android team:
>
>    - Why this breaking change wasn't described in documentations like
>
> READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/Manifest.permission.html#READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE>was?
>
>    - What should developers and testers do in order to use those handy
>    utility applications that require READ_LOGS to be useful? Is there any way
>    to allow READ_LOGS to 3rd party applications without making custom build
>    (i.e. something in "Developer Options" that I could've missed)?
>
>  --

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com