On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Kristopher Micinski <krismicin...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> > Do users even look or comprehend what permissions are being used in any
> > given app? The user wants the app, they agree, agree, agree and then get
> > malware.
>
> This is a problem with permissions, not specifically the read logs
> permission.
>
> The problem with the read logs permission is that it doesn't clearly
> map into something the user can think about.
>
> The user can see "reads logs" and may think, "oh, reading things the
> device does, like, battery, etc...?"
>
> But doesn't get that it basically can let you monitor when apps start,
> plus whatever stupid developers do to like leaking high security data
> to a public channel ...

Yeah, ultimately, this just is not an appropriate use for a permission.  It
is not the kind of app functionality that 99% of users can even comprehend,
let alone have a chance of deciding whether it is okay for the app they are
installing.  We have over the years gone through a number of different
wordings of the permission, but at the end of the day it is just not
something that can be sensible displayed to the user.

So, it is now a development permission (a new concept introduced in JB),
which will never be shown to users, but developers can enable through their
development tools.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer