So, I have sort of found the problem and solution.  This is really really
weird.  If I type a youtube address into FireFox or click on a youtube clip
in youtube to go to that video, it automatically forwards to "https" even
if I start with "http".  If I copy/paste the https URL into the dev
console, it rejects it as I have described in this thread even though the
https URL loads the video just fine.  I must manually edit the URL to be
http in the dev console in order to make it go through.

Admittedly, Safari didn't seem to convert the URL to https so the error is
somewhat browser specific.  Nonetheless, I am amazed that I found
absolutely no description of this problem as I was trying to figure out
what was going on.

So, now it's documented, here, in this thread...forever.

Cheers!