Code conventions are what they are called - conventions. You dont HAVE to
follow them, it's just a guideline so different developers can work
together easily.

On some occasions, you can actually make some conventions break
compilation... the java compiler can be set with flags determining how
"bad" are different warnings. if you decide that even conventions should be
errors, the project would not compile.
(under eclipse you can see it in
Window->Preferences->Java->Compiler->Errors/Warnings).