It didn't work.  I commented out the service declaration in my
Activity's manifest:

<service android:name="com.android.TestService.TestService"/>

And modified my service's manifest to include 'exported' like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
      package="com.android.TestService"
      android:versionCode="1"
      android:versionName="1.0.0">
    <application android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:label="@string/
app_name">
        <service android:name=".TestService" android:exported="true"
android:process=":remote" >
                        <intent-filter>
                                <!-- These are the interfaces supported by the
service, which you
can bind to. -->
                                <action
android:name="com.android.TestService.ITestService1"/>
                                <action
android:name="com.android.TestService.ITestService2"/>
                        </intent-filter>
                </service>
        </application>
</manifest>

And during runtime I got the old problem I had before adding the
service line to my client's manifest:

"02-12 14:16:23.531: WARN/ActivityManager(50): Unable to start service
Intent { comp={com.android.servicemonitor/
com.android.TestService.TestService} }: not found"

I'm sure I'm just doing something totally noobishly dumb, but my dumb
(lol) way I've got it working 99% of the way, now if I can just get
the main service thread to actually find the callbacks that I know are
in the RemoteCallbackList (but that's for another thread :)) - thanks
for putting up with me Dianne.