It turns out that you can avoid using the service reference in your
client manifest if you declare what I presume is a global name in your
service's manifest and simply refer to this name in your client code.

This is what I added to my service's manifest:

<action android:name="com.android.TestService.TEST_SERVICE" />

Then I could delete the <service/> entry in my client's manifest.

I still can't get my service to trigger callbacks on the service's
main UI thread.

Weirdly enough, I have found that the thread pool thread ID will
differ, on occasion (of course) when a client calls in to register
their callback, but each of the thread pool's thread can broadcast on
the RemoteCallbackList's items while the main thread cannot...
Crazy...