I think the best solution to handle very large bitmaps is to be able to
decode only a small chunk of the bitmap at a time and process it.

Does anyone know if the existing Android API can support this?

If not, probably one solution is to write a smart decoder (in Java, so slow
:-( ....)  that can decode a small chunk.