> I realized that almost immediately after hitting 'send' :),
Story of my life ;-) That happens all too often to me.

>but you still seem to be holding a wakelock for 30 minutes.
Yes, I do, but I think for the right reasons. I want to download something
in the background and don't want my Thread to put to sleep by the OS, so I
acquire the partial wake lock which should keep the CPU running and screen
off.
The sleep is just a place holder for the actual work that I left out of the
example in order not to make it complicated ...
Does this make sense now?