On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Mariano Kamp <mariano.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for not giving up on me ;-)
>
> I thought about that, but the log shows that I acquired the lock and then
> nothing more happens.

Except in the last example you gave, where it doesn't even get to the acquire.

> Also I would need to use a Thread.join() in the onReceive Method to wait for
> the thread to finish, which would lead to a long execution of the
> onReceive() method.

I was thinking you would acquire the lock in the receiver, but free it
in your thread.
The receiver wouldn't actually have to wait for the thread to finish.

> If you think my arguments are wrong and still believe this is a valid
> approach I can give it a shot. Otherwise I would rather wait a little bit
> for other suggestions as this problem doesn't occur frequently (but often
> enough to annoy the NewsRob users) enough to trigger it in a short period of
> time and therefore I can basically just try one approach per day, actually
> night ;-)

Another possibility is that your process simply gets killed during the
30 minute period. Since the activity manager doesn't know about your
thread, it may conclude that your process is idle and decide to kill
it to free up resources. You can tell if this happens by looking at
the system log, but in any case you should probably do the actual work
in a service, rather than using a plain Thread.