Thread's should never be started in a BroadcastReceiver because the
containg task ends when the onReceive method ends.

The suggestion at
http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/design/responsiveness.html is;

"But instead of doing intensive tasks via child threads (as the life of
a BroadcastReceiver is short), your application should start a Service
<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Service.html> if a
potentially long running action needs to be taken in response to an
Intent broadcast."

Just as Jon has done.

Al
http://andappstore.com/

--

* Written an Android App? - List it at http://andappstore.com/ *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.