You have to project 3D coordinates (model view) back to 2D coordinates
(LCD screen).
I wrote an app that needed to do the exact opposite (2d coords to 3d
coord and vectors).
But the idea is the same.

3D coords --Model View--> 2D coord --Project View--> 2D screen coords

gluProject takes care of the "--Model View--> 2D coord --Project View--
>" for you.

It's quite a bit of math and such. You have to draw it out and get a
good understanding of it. The hints i gave you above should give you a
good direction (gluProject for mapping 3D to 2D; MatrixTrackerGL for
obtaining the current model view and projection view matrices). The
rest of the math you have to code yourself. Learn up on geometric
calculations a bit, google a lot (that's what i did :-)).