On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Al Sutton <a...@funkyandroid.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I'm not after G1 device images, I would be happy if I could get access to a
> fully working cupcake emulator, but no one in the public development
> community can. I said before the G1 launch I see Android as the platform,
> not the G1, Magic or any specific device implementation, but at the moment
> there is *nothing* which we can use to can prepare us for the imminent
> release of a cupcake device from an OHA member.

Yes, and we have said pretty consistently that application developers should
rather wait for an official cupcake SDK rather than try to build their own,
if they
want to avoid more frustration than they imagine.

If you want to surf on the bleeding edge, the "generic-eng" build product in
the
master branch is the only thing you should try, and even this is a rocky
road for
an application developer, less so for a system integrator.

Apart from that, we're still committed to providing a Cupcake SDK before
devices
ship, and we want to gradually but seriously reduce the gap between our
internal
tree and the public one. We have been doing that for quite some time but
this is
not directly visible. The Android team is currently doing many internal
changes in
the tools and processes it uses internally to reach this goal, but this
takes some
time, especially when you're trying to build shippable products at the same
time.

> No one I know would recommend last minute rushed coding, but as every day
> goes past you're pushing developers further and further into that
> situation.
> Vodafone have set a date for the Cupcake powered device release and that's
> our deadline (which is just over 2 weeks away at best according to
> Vodafones
> website), and yet we still don't have *anything* which allows us to do full
> cupcake testing. The closest we can get is emulators with broken
> networking.

I can tell you that most applications will work on Cupcake is they run on
the 1.0 and
1.1 firmware images. The problematic ones are generally those who use
unfrozen/unstable APIs, and developers have been warned well in advance that
problems are to be expected.

There may be a few corner cases, like some permissions being modified or
removed
for system-level security reasons, but they should hopefully be exceptions
and will  be
explicitely documented when the SDK is out.

I have been dog-fooding cupcake builds for a while now, and I don't think
I've encountered
more than one application over 50+ that did have a problem on them. However
anecdote
is not data, so take that with a grain of salt.