> I'm happy to keep a static or member reference to the Bitmap object
> for future usage - but I'm worried if that will reduce the amount of
> memory available to my app?

You wrote: "Running these many times in my app loop"

To me, the key word there is "many".

If really do mean "many", then cache the Bitmap (or perhaps the Canvas) in
a data member or local variable or something until you are outside your
loop and no longer need it. If at that point you are not expecting to
re-enter that loop for some time, null out the data member and let garbage
collection reclaim the space. If you are likely to re-enter the loop soon
and will need the exact same Bitmap again, you may as well hold onto it.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com