In one of my apps i have similar concerns. I cache a bunch of bitmaps
to improve the user experience (using Map). However, at some point in
my app, the app needs the memory (preparing for image-editing on full-
sized image).

This is what i did:
I wrote a class to which bitmap-caches can register them selves.
This class provides a static method called 'tryToReclaimBitmapMemory
()' which will loop over all the registered bitmap-caches and asks
them to clear their caches and, if possible, recycle their bitmaps.
After this it'll call 'System.gc()' for good measure :)

Whenever my app reaches a point where it needs as much (bitmap) memory
as possible, it will call this static method 'tryToReclaimBitmapMemory
()'.

In this way, i can keep cached bitmaps and i'm only zapping them when
really necessary.