A while back Alias|Wavefront (now AutoDesk) tried the licensing server
thing.  If I'm not mistaken they even had a hardware token required to
run their application and it still got cracked.  That's an application
that retails for $2000 a box, and they couldn't secure their software
with a ridiculous amount of DRM.  It's unlikely that a $5 phone app is
going to do a much better job of things.

That being said, I am not very familiar with licensing server DRM
techniques (they aren't very common) so I can't speak specifically to
the difficulty with cracking them.  None the less, it still stands
that you likely won't increase your customer base with solutions like
this because people don't like it when their software has to phone-
home to run.  What happens if you go out of business and the licensing
server goes down?  What happens if I don't have network access?  etc.